Watch the video above or on YouTube or skip to individual questions:
- What are the different types of DDoS attacks?
- What are the different mitigation technologies or techniques?
- What are the other possibilities for mitigation?
- What does it cost to mitigate a DDos attack?
- When we are talking about DDoS, what first comes to mind is the influence it has on traffic. What other kinds of collateral damage are there involved in DDoS attacks?
- What about physical damage. Is that possible or is that unlikely?
- What can be the impact of a DDoS attack overall on global traffic flows?
- The impact is on the regional level, but it is still noticed on a global level?
- What do you consider to be the worst-case scenario from a DDoS attack?
- Can you give us any idea of the growth in frequency or the growth in volume of these attacks? We've seen a couple which have been very publicly reported in the last year or two. From your perspective, how often are they coming and to what extent are they growing?
- How often do you see the DE-CIX Blackholing service being used and how great are the volumes there?
Dr. Thomas King is Chief Innovation Officer (CIO) at DE-CIX since 2016. He started his career as Member of Technical Staff at DE-CIX in 2008. After a stint at 1&1 Internet AG and founding a startup company called audriga, Dr. King re-joined DE-CIX as Head of Research & Development in 2014 and was promoted in 2016 to the newly-created position of Chief Innovation Officer at DE-CIX.
Thomas King received an M.Sc. degree in Computer Science and Business Administration from the University of Mannheim, Germany in 2004, and a Ph.D. degree at the chair of Computer Networks from the University of Mannheim in 2008.